Albion Interactive History / Organizations / Albion Business and Professional Women’s Club

Albion Interactive History

Albion Interactive History / Organizations

Albion Business and Professional Women’s Club, 1927
 
    Disbanded

Putnam’s “Bowling Alone” +

The graph above shows how membership peaked nationally during the 1950s and has declined to present day. (Source: Robert D. Putnam, Bowling Alone, 2000)

Description
Organized, March, 1927, with the first meeting in the Albion public library. Charter members are: Eleanor Penzotti Sindecuse, Miriam Erhardt, Asenath Ford, Edythe Frye, Helen Young, Dorothy Winchell, Marjorie Smith, Irene Glatzel, Helen Gale, Sarah Beckwith Serio, Rowena Horton Howe, Mrs. J.A. Zimmerman, L. Ruth French, Wilma Reed, Luella Burns, Marie Williams, Marcelleine Edger, Julia Edger, Mrs. Ida Glascoff, Sylvia Groff, Mrs. McIntosh, Dorothy Callahan, Rena Comstock, and Beth Deyoe.

The club has rooms in the basement of the Commercial and Savings Bank Building and holds one social and one business meeting a month. The club motto is “A high school education for every girl,” and one of its projects is an educational scholarship fund. Several high school girls have been helped by the club. It also contributes to many civic measures, is deeply interested in the work of the city nurse.

The club is affiliated with the state and national organization and only those gainfully employed are eligible for membership. Those having served as presidents are Miriam Erhardt, Edythe Frye, Marie Williams, Marcelleine Edger, and Mae Morten

Source: Mae Morton in Krenerick, Miriam. Albion’s Milestones and Memories. Albion, MI: Art Craft Press. 1932. 82