1940, Brick repaving of Superior Street
Superior Street in downtown Albion was repaved with new paving bricks in the summer of 1940 a a cost of $55,319. Here we see work beign done in preparation for the laying of a new concrete base. The 1940 bricks were replaced with new ones in 1993.
Parallel parking was instituted in downtown Albion following the laying of new street bricks in 1940. The pavement carried two lanes of traffic each way on busy M-99, as shown in this scene from the mid-1940’s. On the left in the Sheldon Block is Parks Drug Store, a long-time Albion business, followed by the Morris Variety Store.
Bricks are lined up along the sidewalks in the summer of 1940, as Superior St. is paved.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.