1867 September 17, Albion Union Schools created
After long and serious discussions, the school inspectors of Albion and Sheridan Townships met in Howard Hall on September 17, 1867, and formally untied the three separate school districts into one. The official name of the new district was the Graded School District No. 1 Fractional of Albion and Sheridan, otherwise known as the Albion Union Schools.
The following six persons were elected to the new school board: Augustus Gale and Phineas Graves for one year; Samuel V. Irwin and Charles W. Dalrymple for two years; and Andrew M. Fitch and Wellington Bidwell for three years. All have had streets named after them, with the exception of Graves. E.H. Johnson was named chairman, with William E. Thornton as secretary.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.