Western Union Telegraph Company, 1842
The Western Union Telegraph Company came to Albion in 1842 and their firstoffice was in the M.C. Passenger depot. It continued there until 1912, whenbusiness conditions warranted an uptown office, which was opened in the BellTelephone Building on Superior Street, with Mr. Harvey Sweet as manager. In 1926the office was moved to Center street.
The Simplex replaced the old Morse System. An automatic machine like a typewriter,instantly types a message at a distant point. Three months training is all thatis needed to become an accurate and speedy Simplex operator. Former managerinclude Miss Shaffer, Mrs. W. Marshall, Mr. B.F. Miles, and Mr. O.W. Clark. K69
Source: Miriam Krenerick. Albion’s Milestones and Memories. Albion, MI: Art Craft Press. 1932.