Hannahs’ Exchange and Banking Office, 304 S. Superior St., 1853
Albion’s first bank was opened in 1853 by Marvinand George Hannahs. The beginning capital was $600. When Hannahs came to theForks with his wife Murta in 1834, he lived at a frame house at 910 Haven Road,operating a tannery in a brick structure behind his home. Later he moved that tothe SW corner of Superior and Center St. Later, they moved to a newly builtlocation on 304 S. Superior St. in1856. The bank was in existence from 1853 to 1858, when the Hannahs sold theirinterest to their clerk James W. Sheldon in1858, and the bank was reorganized as the Albion Exchange Bank.
Source: Frank Passic. Albion’s Banks and Bankers. Albion, Michigan:Albion Civic Foundation. 1985.