Corning Glass Works, 1950
In 1950 the Corning Glass company, the world’s largest manufacturer of glass for technical purposes, built a $5 million plant at the intersection of North and Clark streets. The plant was fed with natural gas via a direct pipeline from the Panhandle Eastern Pipeline Company. Thearrangement for fuel was the result of a waiver granted by Cecil Runyan, which allowed the Panhandle Company to bring its line in. The waiver was an important and decisive factor which tipped the scales in Albion’s favor as a location. The gas company’s history mentions the community effort involved:
That this factory-college community of Albion got the Corning plant was due to a remarkable example of cooperation between the city and professional and industrial forces. A concentrateddrive marshaled together Albion’s leaders to sell Corning on the city’s advantages. A special city schoolelection cleared the way to secure a piece of land owned by the school board which was part of the site needed for the factory. Scores of individuals built homes – 30 in number – and sold them at cost, or rented them, to company personnel coming from Corning NY, to supervise the building of the plant. This last move, it is said, enabled Corning to start shipments of tubes within twelve days after completion of the plant. (Mitts, Dorothy. A History of Gas Service Port Huron. 1958)
The announcement of the decision to build the plant in Albion was made March 15, 1950. OnMay 29, the first Albionites were sent to Corning, NY, for training, and on September 22, 1950, the production of television glass began.
Corning Glass Works came to Albion in 1950, and erected a 300,000 square foot plant on E. North St. Corning was a major manufacturer oftelevision bulbs and once employed up to 1,400 persons at the Albion site.
The arrival of Corning meant a population and housing boom for the city. Corning closed at the end of 1975 due to a decline in sales of U.S. produced televisiontubes. The factory was purchased in 1978 by Guardian Industries, which converted the facilities into an insulation manufacturing plant. P46
Corning Glass Works came to Albion in 1950, and erected a 300,000 square foot plant on E. North St. Corning was a major manufacturer of television bulbs, and once employed up to 1,400 persons at the Albion site. Pictured here is the 1950 construction of the plant.
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.
Source: City of Albion. Annual Report. 1950.