Franklin and Davis Grocery (Superior S 404), c.1908
Ben Franklin Grocery (Superior S 406), c.1908
Mounteer’s Bakery (Superior S 410), c.1908
South Market (Superior S 412), c.1908
Albert Thornton, photographer (Superior S 414), c.1908
Two-story brick building of Victorian yellow brick with red brick ornamentation. The building carries heavy horizontal lines, a corbelled brick cornice, and square windows windows with heavy stone lintels.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
This 1894 photo of the west side of S. Superior St. south of W. Erie St. shows the Peabody Block on the right. It was erected in 1852 by David and Walter Peabody, sons of Tenney Peabody, Albion’s first settler. In the left portion of the Peabody Block can be seen the B.F. Kinmont Drug Store. Kinmont moved his establishment across the street to the Sheldon Block, where it later became Parks Drug Store.