Three-story brick building with horizontal molding in the cornice line and dentil molding. On the Erie Street elevation is a trio of oculus windows at the first level. These windows have been in filled with plywood, and the eastern most window and a portion of the center window are obscured by signage. Lintels with decorative scrollwork are placed above each window. The first floor storefront was remodeled in the 1960’s with aluminum sheathing and vertical plywood planking. To the rear of the building is a two story ell. The lower floor is accessed by a garage door, the second level (a later addition), is framed and clad in aluminum siding with one-over-one windows.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Historic Preservation Notes +
More could be done to tout the heritage of this building – the oldest brick building in downtown Albion built by sons of Albion’s first white settler Tenney Peabody. Additional improvements might include replacing windows that have been filled in with wood (especially the 3 oculus windows on the north facade) and possibly renovating the 2nd floor into luxury apartments, while respecting the historical character of the space.
Mounteer’s Bakery (Superior S 400), c.1908
People’s Cash Grocery (Superior S 402), c.1908
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
This 1894 photo of the west side of S. Superior St. south of W. Erie St. shows the Peabody Block on the right. It was erected in 1852 by David and Walter Peabody, sons of Tenney Peabody, Albion’s first settler. In the left portion of the Peabody Block can be seen the B.F. Kinmont Drug Store. Kinmont moved his establishment across the street to the Sheldon Block, where it later became Parks Drug Store.