Commercial Second Empire
Two-story brick building with a straight mansard roof, centered gable and patterned slate roof tiles. In addition there is a cresting along the roof line. The centered gable facade has two dormers with ogee window surrounds on the third floor and two paired windows with center oggee openings on the second floor. On the West Erie side is a one-story entry hood of decorative milled wood. A distinctive feature of this building is the second floor cornice that is interrupted by the dormer surrounds. This broken cornice is marked by brick dentils. Another distinction is the use of recessed wall panels between brick engaged columns. At the first floor this treatment takes the form of a modified, semi-elliptical arches with brick dentils along the flat arch soffits.
- Replace the pent roof awning with a rolling fabric awning similar to that shown in the 1894 picture.
- Reconstruct the balcony rail between the 1st and 2nd floors.
- Fill in missing cresting along the cornice.
The 2nd floor of this building was home to James W. Sheldon. While some evidence of this luxurious past remains, this space has been severely altered. Not to the point of being unsalvageable though. Stabilization of this building is needed though. The east wall on the 3rd floor has a gaping hole letting in animals and water. This needs to be filled immediately. Then the owner should consider restoring the luxury apartment on the 2nd floor. Historic preservation tax credits are available. Other funding could come from local businesses and organizations interested in seeing this Albion showplace survive. When completed this space could make an excellent bed and breakfast, a place for small performances and lectures, or possibly a place for visiting professors, parents, and guests visiting Albion College. Once one starts imagining, anything is possible.
Bruce Kinmont Drugstore (Superior S 314), 1915
Rollins Hotel (Superior S 314, upstairs), 1915
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
The Sheldon Block is located on the northwest corner of Superior and Erie Streets. Erected in 1872 on the site of the Albion Hotel, it was the home of prominent Albion banker James W. Sheldon (1830-1894). Sheldon was a major financial figure during the 19th century. This 1894 photograph also shows the Clift Block on the right, erected in 1861 by John Clift.
Isaac giving a tour after the fireplace has fallen.
Source: Isaac Kremer, June 1999.