This building carries a matching cornice to 309-311. The window hoods of 315 are much less ornate, being simple raised ellipses. The second and third floor windows have been gutted and boarded over. The side elevation features long rows of round headed windows at the second and third floors that match the facade windows. From the center to the west end runs a series of first floor windows that are round headed but of sharply abbreviated height. Kellastone stucco was added in 1921. The angled entrance was recently enclosed.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Brockway Block, c.1870
George T. Bullen Store, closed 1934
1934-1954, Atlantic and Pacific (A&P) Tea Company
Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
The Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company came to Albion in 1921. In 1934 it moved to larger quarters at 315 South Superior Street, as shown in this late 1930s photo. It remained here until the A&P Supermarket opened on South Eaton Street in 1954. Here we see automobiles competing for crossing rights at the busy intersection in front of the store.
“Closing Our doors Forever” was the sign placed in front of the George T. Bullen Store in early 1934, as pictured here. The inside front windows carried such phrases as: “Help! We Quit,” “We Soon Fade Out of the Picture,” and “So, Long Albion!” Notice the W.A. Little Hardware on the left, and the pre-1940 brick street in the foreground.