200-202 S. Superior Street, Callahan Block, c.1869
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
This building on the southwest corner of S. Superior and E. Center Street was once the home of the Jewett & Knapp Dry Goods, as shown in this 1894 photo. J.W. Knapp later moved his establishment to Lansing, where it grew into a major department store. To the left is howard Hall. It served as a major meeting center in the late 19th century.
Detail of window hood.