100-102 S. Superior Street, Perkins Block, 1900
Homer Blair Drug Store (Superior S 100), c.1908
Walter Rogers Shoes (Superior S 102), c.1908
1912-1945, Van Gorden Drugs (Superior S 100)
1945-1965, Brownridge Drugs (Superior S 100)
A two-story, brick building with corbelled brick dentils marking the cornice line in front. Soldiered brick segmental arch transoms are set over Chicago windows. The storefronts have been modified with a wood and shake pent roof awning. The Cass Street side of the building features second story one-over-one windows with broad stone lintels and narrow stone sills. Running below the cornice line and above a projecting brick string course is a band of four oculus windows. At the first story, flanking the storefront of 103 West Cass is a side entry and two small windows with lintels and sills matching those above. 103 West Cass is a storefront with a recessed entry and cast iron columns.
Brownridge Drugs was a well-known business establishment in downtown Albion from 1945 to 1965, as shown here in the late 1940s. It featured Rexall-brand drugs, and was operated by Joseph G. Brownridge. The store had formerly been known as Van Gorden Drugs from 1912 to 1945.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.