Lloyd Park, Cass Street, 1981
Lloyd Park is across the river from Albion’s historic downtown. The site wasformerly the location of the White Mill, one of Albion’s mills that was laterlost to fire. Today a stone wall intersects the park and a terrace suspends overthe river. In 1996 the Cass St. bridge was rebuilt, but the original dedicationstones can be seen on the foundation of the bridge. In the distance on the otherside of the bridge, a Coca-Cola mural can also be seen.
A plaque and stone,dedicated by the Albion Community Foundation can also be seen. The text is asfollows: “This terrace is dedicated to the memory of Thomas Tilghman Lloyd (1912-1978), industrialist and philanthropist, ardent citizen and visionary. In 1969 he founded and endowed the Albion Civic Foundation “to enrich the living conditions and ways of life in the greater Albion area.” He believed in Albion, in its river-enhanced setting, in the wealth of its multi-ethnic heritage. He called for “new, bold, and imaginative programs” that would make Albion more pleasing to eye and spirit.”
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.