Five Points Park, Michigan Avenue
A park where Michigan Avenue and Clark Street intersect on the east side ofAlbion. Jackson Street also arrives at the intersection, but reaches a dead end,yards short of the intersection. A local store christened the space Five Points,which was a popular stop for refreshment and place for hitchhikers for sometime. Local legend claims the hitch-hiker thumb gesture was originated inAlbion. Today Gold Star Memorial Park, has a monument and flag pole dedicated tothose from Albion who gave their lives in World War II.
A “Hitch Hike Depot” was erected in the summer of 1939 at Five Points at the east city limits, for the benefit of the many hikers on the U.S. 12 highway. It was built by Tom Bromeling who operated the gas and grocery store at the site. In the photograph notice the large thumb above thee Hitch Hike Depot sign. This novelty gained nationwide attention in newspaper articles.
Source: Isaac Kremer