Past Places of Worship
810 Austin Ave
The Holy Ascension Orthodox Church at 810 Austin Avenue was erected in 1916 to serve the spiritual needs of the several hundred Eastern-European immigrants who had settled in Albion. Many were White Russians and Ukranians who came here to work at the Albion Malleable Iron Company. The project was coordinated by Helen Egnatuk (1850-1946), the matriarch of the local Russian community. The church was named an official historic site by the State of Michigan in 1983, and still holds services today.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.