Discussions were held with the Albion City Council during the summer of 1917, and the school board voted on September 17 to rent the so-called “Colored Church” (known to blacks as the “Community Church”) during the fall for the sum of $25 a month. The church was located on the corner of W. Cass and Culver Streets. Black children from the area attended this school instead of West Ward during late 1917. LenaCable, a black woman, was hired as the teacher by the Albion school board on October 3, 1917.
January 1970, photo of the former Community Church where classes were held for black children in the fall of 1917.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.