First Church of God
By Rev. George W. Palmer
The Church of God is not a denomination. It is not an organization that can be joined. It is not governed by a man or any set of men or by any organized body of men. We claim no absolute identity with the church that was completely and finally organized on the Day of Pentecost. We rely solely on the leadership of the Holy Spirit, thus making our form of government charismatic. We recognize no denominational wall separating Gods people. Everyone who has been born from above is a full fledged member of the Church of God, whether he recognizes that fact or not. “God added to the church daily such as were being saved.” All who know Christ as a personal Savior and life in conformity to the Word of God a re fellowshipped in worship and in the ordinances.
Consequently, our history is as old as Albion. Definite leadership, however, has sprung up within the last decade, giving the Church its present visible form. Before the purchase of the Jordan Chapel, the church worshipped in the W.C.T.U. Hall on East Erie Street. The present location has been had within the last four years and the church has worshipped here under the leadership of Miss Dora Robinson. In August 1931, the present pastor, George W. Palmer, began his leadership of the church. Our advertising slogan is, “Always A Welcome.” The slogan of our heart is, “Onward with Christ and Trust.”
Source: Miriam Krenerick, Milestones and Memories, 1932. 136