Deo Galbraith, 1956-1960
Donald E. Reiman, 1961-1986
Construction began in 1956 for a new elementary school just outside the east city limits at 101 N. Clark Street. The site had formerly been the Albion City Dump, and such items as Albion’s early street lamps, for example, still lie buried underneath the school site. The area was annexed to the city of Albion, along with a strip of land purchased from the Bushong family, now the site of the school bus lot.
On January 25, 1956, the City Bank and Trust Company purchased $600,000 in bonds, payable at 2.26% interest, and in a sense paid for the school, until taxpayers of course, paid the money back. On June 19, 1956, the school board awarded the contract to Miller-Davis company of Kalamazoo, and work began shortly thereafter. Total cost of the project was $680,000.
The Harrington Elementary School opened for classes on September 5, 1957. The school was named in honorof retired superintendent Donald Harrington, who had been superintendent of the Albion Public Schools from 1919 to 1939. The Gardner Grade School classes were transferred to Harrington School, and congestion at the high school complex was temporarily relieved.
The first principal at Harrington School was Deo Galbraith, who served in that position for four years. He was followed by Donald E. Reiman, who served as principal at Harrington School from 1961 until 1986 – a total of 25 years.
Donald Harrington, namesake of the school.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.