Shown in this photo circa 1915 is the McGuire brothers restaurant (formerly a saloon until Albion went “dry”) at 103 W. Porter St. It was operate by Jim “Deacon” McGuire and his brother George, who are standing in front of their establishment. Jim was a professional ball player for the Detroit Tigers, serving as catcher.
The Albion Leader was in existence from 1898 to 1918, and was located at 105 W. Porter St. It was purchased in 1905 by William B. Gildart, a well seasoned editor who often featured historical sketches and biographies of Albion pioneers. The Leader was the only competition to the Albion Recorder after the Mirror folded in 1910. In the photo, William B. Gildart’s sons Emerson and Ralph Gildart are shown standing in front of their fathers business.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.