The home of Jesse Crowell, “Albion’s Greatest Benefactor,” was a showplace for many years. Located on E. Michigan Avenue, the home was puchased by Dr. Stephen Munroe (1812-1890) in 1873. A retired physician, Munroe added the Mansard roof and third floor to the structure. The family of Albion State Bank president David A. Garfield were the final residents of the house. Mrs. Garfileld was a niece of Dr. Munroe. The Garfield’s lived here until the house was demolished in 1926 to make way for Susanna Wesley Hall, a girl’s dormitory.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.