Four story brick hotel. Three story entrance portico flanked by projecting walls on each side. Windows in groups of three on each floor. Capped by decorative pediment. Building accessible by cement staircase from Michigan Avenue.
The Parker Inn opened in 1926 on busy Michigan Avenue (US 12 andM-9). It was named after Harry T. Parker, local industrialist and president of the Albion Malleable IronCompany. The Parker Inn was converted into private apartments in 1974, and today serves as an apartment and business offices complex, known as Munger Place.
Originally the Parker Inn, this building was constructed by industrialist Harry Parker with the support of community leaders. Located along Michigan Avenue, part of the former thoroughfare between Detroit and Chicago, the hotels grand architecture was likely intended to attract attention from passersby. For many years the Parker Inn was an active hotel, with two popular restaurants located on the first floor. Business declined when Interstate 94 replaced Michigan Avenue in 1960. Later the building was renovated into apartment units by local developer Richard Munger.
Source: Isaac Kremer, 2001.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.