Renovated Spring 2001
One story brick educational building, part of Albion’s science complex. Severalclassrooms and a large auditorium are inside. The building was renovated Spring2001 with support from the Dow Foundation, to include modern laboratoryequipment. The Norris Center is connected by a hallway to Palenske Hall, and by covered walkway to Putnam Hall,the other two buildings in the science complex.
Another view of the Norris Center with Hannah St in the foreground.
Brick walkway and courtyard immediately to the east of Norris.
From the Albion College Archives
Norris, Putnam, Palenske Science Complex
Austin-Everest Studio Student enrollment in the natural sciences had long surpassed the outmoded and outgrown facilities of the 1893 McMillan Laboratory for chemistry and 1916 Epworth Building for physics; and it was determined that it was time for a new complex in the 1960s. After generous donations by the Palenske and Putnam families and the momentum of President Norris’ building program, the groundbreaking ceremony for the complex was held on October 20, 1967. Participating in the design of the Science Center were the architects, Wold and Bowers of Grand Rapids, a faculy committee on planning, and administrative officers. It was not until April 23, 1970, however, that the complex was complete and dedicated, due to a strike of unionized carpenters. (Fennimore, p.637)
Norris Center is named for former president, Louis Norris, and contains Albion’s largest lecture hall, other than Goodrich Chapel, which is used for academic lectures, cultural convocations and Union Board movies. It is the unifying component of the complex, with classrooms, auditoriums and special shops.
All photographs are from the Albion College Archives Photograph Files, unless otherwise noted.
O’Connell, Patrick. (1997, Oct. 24). “$3 Million grant from Dow Foundation will provide upgraded science facilities.” Pleiad. Retrieved 10 June 2003, http://www.albion.edu/pleiad/1997/10_24/news_2.asp. Norris Center Classrooms
Source: Albion College Archives, 2003 [Downloaded July 3, 2003]