Kellogg Center, 1997
Opening of the Kellogg Center created a new and popular place for people to meet on campus. Following the second World War a temporary student center was constructed, using war surplus materials. This situation was improved upon whenBaldwin Hall opened in 1951. Still, by the end of the twentieth century, Albion was having difficulty competing without a student center similar to those of other colleges and universities.
The Kellogg Center was built with financial support from the Kellogg Foundation. Plans were made to convert South Hall into a 24 hour student center. Construction took place through 1997, when the building was opened for students.
The Kellogg Center was created by cutting off the east face of Dickie Hall (formerly South Hall) and attaching a new addition to this facade. When completed the Kellogg Center balanced withVulgamore Hall, making an attractive ensemble of the three buildings facing Hannah Street, Vulgamore, Robinson, and the Kellogg Center.
Inside are several meeting rooms and office space. An area called “The Stack” is in the location of the former Chapel, on the second floor of the original building. This large two story meeting room with a wrap around balcony is a focal point on campus, used for meetings of the Student Senate, concerts, and other large group events. Other features of the building include a smaller living room, bookstore, post office, and information desk. The campus radio station WLBN broadcasts from a booth on the second floor.
- Information desk
- Large living room
- Post Office
Source: Isaac Kremer, August 2003.